Sunday, June 21, 2009

Urging Grandmother

Not much happened yesterday. I had to leave right after Mass to pick up some friends at an airport on the way back to where I live. Mass was later than I expected as Mom had to cantor at the late Mass and there were three baptisms.

During Mass, my grandmother leans over to me and says that when the archbishop was in town at my home parish she noticed that he had a good singing voice and thought that I could be an archbishop too, because I have a good singing voice. I'm sure that's top qualification they look for when appointing archbishops. Thanks grandma. Of course, she has no idea that I'm looking into a vocation to the priesthood since I've mentioned this fact to no one.

After I returned, the air conditioner was broken in my apartment and it was hotter and muggier than hades in there. So, I went out for dinner and then into the office building to take care of email and personal things online. While I was there, an older friend started a chat with me, we'll call her PW. She actually helps my grandmother with costuming for a high school theater back at home. Her daughter, who just finished her freshman year at college, just had a new baby girl. So this grandma, PW, was up late with the new baby and on the computer. We were talking about her family's hardships and blessings that the new baby brought on. When I thought the conversation was about wrapped up, I asked her to pray for me because I was going through some changes in life. She said she would, and pretty much guessed what changes I was talking about since my grandmother had shared with PW her own thoughts that I could make a good priest. Well, I would rather have talked with JS about my discernment first, but PW agreed not to tell anyone and we talked into the wee hours of the morning about both of our problems. It was a good talk. Actually, PW is baptist, but it was kind of satisfying hearing someone support my discernment who wasn't Catholic.

Dominus Vobiscum

No comments: