Saturday, January 2, 2010

Discernment Retreat: Day 1

Yesterday was the first day of the discernment retreat here at St. Meinrad. The day started out nicely, I had spent the night at my brother's house with my family and we got up early to go to Mass before I had to hit the road for the trip here. On the way, I had to stop by the cathedral to pick up another young man who needed a ride and we rode the rest o the way together.

We started off with second vespers last night in the Archabbey chapel. Which was done by gregorian chant in English by the Benedictines here. Then, after dinner we had introductions and welcoming. There are two priests, one is a Benedictine and in charge of enrollment at the seminary and the other is a diocesan and vocations director at another diocese. Four seminarians, I think there is one from each year of theology. In all, there are 11 discerners and I believe we come from four different dioceses. Both priests have promissed to make this retreat non-pressured and so far so good. We have heard discernment stories from three of the seminarians and watched the Fishers of Men video, I'll try to find that video after the retreat on YouTube and post it here, I know I've seen it before out there. We finished the day with compline in the seminary chapel just with our group and has been a really nice so far.

The biggest disappointment so far is the fact that I grabbed my application packet to try to get more of my essays typed up this weekend, but when I got here, I realized that I grabbed the folder that didn't have all of my outlines and first drafts that I have previously written down. So, if I want to do any essays, I will need to start over.

Dominus Vobiscum

No comments: